Lifestyle | Top Tips for Drawing

IMG_3441Drawing ProgressI asked on twitter if anyone would be interested in seeing some of my tips to help improve drawing and a few of you were very keen, so that’s what I’m chatting about today! I love drawing and have been drawing for as long as I can remember, by no means am I the best artist ever and I have many things still to learn! However with a few tips and tricks here and there my drawing technique improved drastically.

Patience. The biggest tip I can give to anyone is to be patient when drawing, any one of my drawings takes at least 8 hours to complete and so often people give up in the early stages as it’s not looking how they want it to. Just keep going, trust me!

Cotton Buds. Tools for drawing are extremely important and the best tool I’ve come across is a cotton bud. Of course I use pencils (preferring an HB for initial drawing and a 4B for added definition) but when my friend Kate back in A-Levels was smudging things out with a cotton bud I decided to follow suit. Cotton buds act almost like your blending brush when doing eyeshadow and soften any harsh lines, once the cotton bud has been used enough it can actually create marks itself which is super useful!

Black & White. I’m no good at imaginingĀ things or life drawing so I like to copy an image (often just printed out from Google) and to make life easier I put the image in black and white. This allows me to see exactly where the light and shade should be.

Shadows Not Lines. When I first started drawing I was always looking for the outlines but to get a realistic look I now focus on shadows. As you can see from the step-by-step I am building up the shadows by blending with my cotton bud and trying to not have any ‘outlines’.

Nothing is Perfect. Being a perfectionist this is something I have to remind myself of. Whether it’s the fact I cannot draw hair (or just coincidentally that everyone I draw is bald) or that I feel it doesn’t look like the original image, it’s okay. It’s all about improving.

There we have it, a few tips to hopefully help with drawing. Once again I am not the best artist and these are just some things I’ve found to help me personally throughout my years with a pencil in hand. I hope you liked this and I’d love to see any of your drawings!

Share:

12 Comments

1. 9th September 2015 / 7:45 pm

You’re so talented! I enjoy drawing and I’d love to improve my skills, so I’m gonna bookmark this post and keep coming back to it.

• Lucy
      Author
      9th September 2015 / 7:50 pm

Aww thank you so much! I hope you found it helpful! x

• Lucy
      Author
      9th September 2015 / 10:33 pm

It really does make is so much easier to see what you’re doing! Oh it really is, it completely changed my drawing! xx

2. 9th September 2015 / 9:55 pm

Oh my, you are so talented! Drawing has always been one of those skills I wish that I’d been gifted with! :)

Sarah / Sarah Smiles

• Lucy
      Author
      9th September 2015 / 10:33 pm

Aww thank you so much Sarah! x

3. Emma
    9th September 2015 / 11:31 pm

Your drawings are amazing!! I left school 7 years ago and carried on drawing as a hobby I love it, I much prefer black & white too! One thing I hate drawing is noses! x
    Emma | Emmys Beauty Cave

• Lucy
      Author
      12th September 2015 / 12:45 pm

Thank you so much Emma! I’m glad I kept drawing after school! Noses can be super tricky, one day I’ll tackle drawing hair again as that’s what I struggle with most! x

4. 12th September 2015 / 7:33 am

Oh my god Lucy you’re so talented! I actually used to really love drawing but was so impatient if I couldn’t get things exactly right I’d end up giving up, and now I’ve not drawn in years. I might start up again. You should do a post about different pens/ pencils and stuff :)

Touchscreens & Beautyqueens | Home and Beauty Giveaway

• Lucy
      Author
      12th September 2015 / 12:43 pm

Aww thank you so much India, that’s so lovely of you to say! You should definitely pick up a pencil again, no drawing looks good to begin with! x

• Lucy
      Author
      17th November 2015 / 1:55 pm

Aww thank you so much Freya! x